Wednesday, March 24, 2010

crown canning jars


Okay, so I was sitting in my back room last night trying to (unsuccessfully) wait out a migraine, and the late afternoon sunlight coming into the room hit a bunch of old canning jars sitting on a table waiting to be repurposed as display jars for my sewing notions.

I picked up these jars - which are so old that the glass is all warped and uneven - at a church rummage sale several years ago. Until recently they held dried beans and grains in my pantry, but I wanted food jars that were easier to clean, and switched them out for new wide mouth litre jars.

I changed the camera settings for the photo below...






















Added Thursday, March 24: I just looked up Crown canning jars online, and found this information:

Canadian Crown fruit jars can be quite common, and were made by several different Canadian manufacturers. A few rare variations do exist, however. If any have ground lips they would be worth more. Sometimes Crown jars have variations in the shape of the crown itself or extra embossing that makes them more valuable. Most of the clear ones from the 40s and 50s are worth about $1 to $3 each.

2 comments:

  1. I just bought an old one of these only it is really big, like a liter I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found a pint size for $2 at a yard sale today in Indiana. Loved the embossed crown and the Made in Canada and it had such a nice heavy weight I just had to have it. Have no idea what I will do with it but it will be sitting on a shelf or table where I can see it an love it. Thanks for your info.

    ReplyDelete